SBS:WHS AVID Students
From Westminster Public Schools Wiki
Go back to AVID Community page
Go to AVID Standards page
AVID Mission The mission of AVID is to ensure that ALL students, and most especially the least served students who are in the middle...
- will succeed in rigorous curriculum
- will complete a college preparatory path
- will enter mainstream activities of the school
- will increase their enrollment in four-year colleges
- will become educated, responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society
District 50 Vision
- Prepare students for the 21st Century
- Celebrate and respect our diversity
- Nurture the love of learning and inquiry
- Serve as a lighthouse for other districts
Learner-centered Classroom Vision
- There is a classroom shared vision and code of conduct
- Students are partners in teaching-learning cycle
- Students and teachers are collaborative
- Students own their learning
- Students monitor and assess their own learning
- Students provide feedback through tools and processes
- Ranum/Westminster High School Back-to-School Night -- Food, Music, and Conversation -- was August 5, 2009 at WHS. Thank-you to all who attended!
- The first Pack Prep Night was September 22, 2009 at the WHS Library. Thank-you to all who attended!
- AVID students and parents will sign AVID contracts at Parent-Teacher Conferences on Tuesday October 13th and Wednesday October 14th from 3:15pm to 7:00pm (see Parent Letter)
- The second WHS Pack Prep Night was Tuesday, October 27, 6:00 PM- 7:00 PM in the WHS Library. The focus for the evening was the college application process. It was great to see the large turnout -- Thank-you!
- The third WHS Pack Prep Night was Tuesday, November 17, 6:00 PM- 7:00 PM in the WHS Library. The focus will be scholarship opportunities and financial aid with our guest, CollegeInvest. Thank-you to all who attended!
- The fourth WHS Pack Prep Night was Tuesday, January 26, 6:00 PM- 7:00 PM in the WHS Library. The focus for Juniors & Seniors was preparing for the ACT & SAT college placement exams; the focus for the Freshmen & Sophomores was interpreting EXPLORE exam results. Thank-you to all who attended!
- The fifth WHS Pack Prep Night was Tuesday, February 23, 6:00 PM- 7:00 PM in the WHS Library. College Invest delivered a session entitled Education Sense. College Invest representative were also be available from 5:30-6:00 to answer questions about FAFSA. Thank-you to all who attended!
- The sixth and final WHS Pack Prep Night was Tuesday, March 16, 5:30 PM- 7:30 PM in the WHS Auditorium. Participants viewed a film, In 500 Words or Less, which follows four high school seniors as they and their families struggle through the overwhelming process of getting to college. Thank-you to all who attended!
- Program Resources
- WHS AVID Policies are posted on the WHS AVID Parents page
- Check the AVID Graduate with Distinction honor cord requirement
- Learning Resources
- Reflection: DIGA Tool
- SBS Resources
- To learn more about Mr. Erickson's Standards-Based AVID classrooms, go to AVID Standards
- Learn more about the Marzano Taxonomy
- Understand how the Teaching and Learning Cycle works in SBS classrooms
- Topical Resources
- AVID Center provides resources for the national and international AVID community at AVIDonline.org
- Information and guidance for students considering Colorado colleges can be found at CollegeInColorado.org
- Hear from students who were the first in their families to go to college at firstinthefamily.org
- Check out the University of California College Prep program. It is a free service which provides online course materials to supplement some of the math, history, science, and AP classes you may be taking.
- The "Slide By Ramp" may be less strenuous than the College Stairway, but nothing beats the view from the top!
- Not learning is a natural experience we all share, but there are ways to get around it.
- If you know you can learn it but your mind is closed, why not forget about all the reasons not to learn and try one thing?
- If you're stuck, try talking to the teacher or peers -- and don't stop talking until you understand.
- If your pencil is moving but your brain is empty, try connecting the learning to your life.
- If you know you can learn it, stay open and just say yes!
- What do you get when you mix WICR with the tutorial process? Simple, effective group study.
- Learning doesn't follow rules, but if it did these might be the top 12 Rules.
- Planning a project? Not sure what format to use? Check out the possibilities at 60 Ways to Show What You Know
- Having trouble getting to class? Is lateness an issue? Try making a LIST
- Inspiring Stories
- Since the Election (thestory.org)
- The Dream of a College Degree (thestory.org)
- Marcia Roe, AVID Coordinator email@example.com
- Tim Bergman, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Keith Erickson, email@example.com
- Staci Minter, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Heidi Patton, email@example.com
- Margaret Sobol, firstname.lastname@example.org